Sewing that's Retro, Geek, and Chic
Another Blogging Award!
April 13, 2013Posted by on
Just two days after posting about my Liebster Award, I was honored with another blogging award – the Very Inspiring Blogger Award!
Life has kept me rather busy (as soon as I’m able to get some better photos, I will post about my Easter dress!) so I am more than a month overdue for an “acceptance speech”.
Thank you so much for the nomination, Karen! I can’t tell you how honored I am to be on your list of inspiring bloggers! You were the first follower of my blog who I didn’t know in real life, and I am constantly inspired by your blog. You have amazing style, wonderful taste in fabric and patterns, and you teach me so many interesting details about fashion history with your posts! Thank you for the inspiration – I’m delighted that the inspiration is mutual! =)
The rules seem pretty universal for this award:
- Display award image on your blog page. Check.
- Link back to the person who nominated you. Check.
- State 7 facts about yourself. Eesh. These random things are going to make my logical brain overload from difficulty!
- Nominate 15 other bloggers for the award. Since I’m inspired by so many bloggers via their blogs or even just conversations on Twitter, how about a “blogroll” of sorts?
Okay so more facts about me. Umm…
- I hate abbreviating when I write – which makes tweeting really hard! It’s probably because I was never good at Spelling when I was in school. (I’ve worked so hard to learn to spell, don’t make me do it badly on purpose!) Plus, when something is completely spelled out, there is less chance of confusion/misunderstandings.
- I love typography. I can be a bit obsessed with letters, fonts, and page layout.
- I have nearly 600 unique sewing pattern numbers (not counting doubles of the same number) in my collection.
- I’m on IMDB but my listing is horribly incomplete since I have neither an agent nor a paid account. Crew pages are full of errors & omissions. And no one ever gets a job because of IMDB. Resumes are much more impressive, but even those won’t get you a job in the film & theatre worlds. Word of mouth is the only way I’ve ever gotten a job.
- Fun geeky piece of trivia from my life: I graduated college in 2001 and our graduation march was Holst’s Jupiter on the organ. (Geek points if you get why this was geeky!) Specifically, this part of the piece:
(Okay, just two more! Come on randomness…I can do this! *pep talk*)
6. My favorite color is green (especially shades of lime and grass) but orange is a very close second.
7. I finally joined the 21st century and got a smartphone. So now when I’m not at home, I can take emails (the limited access to email was getting to be a career problem) and Twitter with me. And now that my phone has a decent camera, I got an Instagram account.
And now for the easy list – my blogroll (in no particular order)! Many of the blogs that inspire me already have the Very Inspiring Blogger Award, but if any of the following bloggers don’t have it and would like to claim one for themselves, consider your blog nominated and do with it what you will. =)
Blogs I’ve followed for a year or more because they inspire, make me think, and/or teach me things I did not know:
Fifty Dresses by Karen (My nominator who also inspires me.)
Three Dresses Project by Leila (Sewcialist extraordinaire who introduced me to the Twitterverse)
Cation Designs by Cindy (Queen of the geeky bedsheet dress!)
The Vintage Traveler by Lizzie (If you love vintage clothing and fashion history, this is a blog not to be missed!)
EPBOT by Jen (DIY craft geek who is also the first blogger I ever followed regularly when a friend sent me the link to her hilarious Cake Wrecks blog just a couple months after she started it. EPBOT quickly became my favorite when she started it as her second blog.)
A Girl in Winter by a self-taught seamstress (who’s an amazingly FAST learner!)
Drawing Saudade by Saudi (I’ve followed her for almost a year now)
Blogs of some of my inspiring friends that I actually know in person (and many of which I helped setup):
Down by the Ash Tree by Ashley (my sister’s food & various domestic pursuits blog)
Purple Powder Puff by Marlene (my professional makeup artist friend)
art-T-dolls by Traci (friend and fellow professional costumer)
The Life and Times of Athene by Athene (who I’ve known since 8th grade and always writes stuff that amuses me)
Barbara Knits by Barbara (my amazingly talented knitting friend, who I have more to write about in a future post)
Blogs of some of my inspiring new Sewcialist Twitter friends:
Love-Teach-Sew by Stephanie
Bird and Bicycle by MaLora Ann
Thimble & Cork by Kacie, a fellow Texan
Disparate Disciplines by Mari
Gjeometry by Catja
Sew Exhausted by Laurie (and her cousin Kerrielee)
A Make It Yourself Mom’s Diary by Laura
Sparkly Super Nova by Nova, who “lives on a cloud with her unicorn” (best location description ever!)
Kadiddlehopper by Katie
Sew and So by Becky
Musings of a Seamstress by Sarah
Crafting a Rainbow by Gillian
Sew Little Time by Joanne
I know I’m leaving out blogs that just haven’t made it into my reader yet. (I have so many wonderful conversations with those of you on Twitter, I sometimes forget to read your blogs if I don’t catch a link when it’s tweeted.)
Just look at the profiles of people I follow on Twitter if you want to find more blogs! Or look at the blogs of those who regularly comment here – I often spend time reading theirs. =)
The online sewing, crafting, diy-ing community is always inspiring! May we continue to inspire and encourage each other!